This is my first attempt at making a pizza base with spelt flour. I’d thought I’d make this up as I go along, why not eh? The pizza itself is very simple and fun to make, well, simple if you are lucky enough to own a good mixing machine (We have a Kenwood Major). If you don’t have a mixer, just mix the pizza dough on a large clean table using your hands, this is great fun to do together with kids!
- Makes 2 large ‘oven tray’ sized pizzas (more than enough for 2 adults and 2 kids)
- More photos below:
Spelt Pizza Base:
- 1kg Spelt Flour (more about spelt here)
- 1 small tin Tomato Puree (approx. 150g)
- 50g Fresh Yeast
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 550ml Warm water
- 2 tbsps Salt
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Jar of Pizza Sauce (approx 300g)
- 150g White Cheese (Norwegian Norvega or white Cheddar)
- 1 pack of Bacon (approx 170g) Chopped into chunks
- 2 packs fresh Mozzarrella (2x 125g) cut into “rough”cubes
- 2 packs Cherry Tomatoes (2x250g) Washed and cut in half
- 1 pack Rocket salad (Rich in Vitamin C and Potassium) Washed
Let’s start having fun:
- Preheat your oven to 200c.
- Place the flour and salt in your mixing bowl.
- Dissolve the tomato puree, sugar and yeast in the warm water, use your fingers to make sure the yeast is completely dissolved. (The sugar helps to activate the yeast!)
- Add the warm water mixture gradually to the flour mixing slowly and continuously.
- Mix well on a low speed, using the dough hook (or your hands – good exercise!) until the dough is smooth but very slightly “sticky”.
- Cover the bowl with a clean dish-cloth and place in a warm part of your kitchen or house. I’ve heard of some people who put their doughs in the laundry room!
- Leave the dough to rise “prove” for around 30-45 minutes.
- Divide the dough in 2, roll out to fit a normal sized oven trays (approx 40cm diameter)
- Place half the pizza sauce on each base and spread out evenly, make sure you spread out right to the edges so they don’t get dry!
- Spread the white cheese evenly over the 2 pizzas.
- Arrange the cherry tomatoes, bacon chunks and mozzarella evenly over the pizzas.
- Cook in the oven for approximately 20 minutes, or until it looks done!
- When ready, top with the Rocket salad, serve and enjoy